June 3, 2009

Sand Box Brawl-Halle's your girl!

Halle likes the sand box at the park; but, so do the other kids playing there. She likes to build sand castles and direct others not to touch them. (At times she can be a little bossy, okay a lot bossy.) Halle's Sand Box Etiquette states, "If you throw sand at her once, her mistake. If you do it twice, your very bad mistake." I think that other girl will think twice before breaking Halle's Sand Box Etiquette Rules again. I was pushing Makayla in the swing and this is what I saw. Halle's sand castle was nice and built and she was protecting it, by directing others away. No problem until a girl threw sand at her. Halle simply said, "Don't do it again." She did it again, to my surprise Halle said, "Don't, and I mean it." I guess those warnings weren't enough; the little girl did it again. Halle jumped up at super sonic speed, grabbed the girl with both arms and threw her to the ground. She then took a hand full of sand and at point blank threw it in her face. I got involved at this point and made her come to me. Before she did she said, "I told you not to." When we left 5 minutes later the little girl was still crying and her mom was still picking sand from her teeth and eyes. My question is: Do you make your child apologize when the other kid asked for it? I didn't.

15 comments:

Amber said...

That is halirious!!! Ross and I had a good laugh!! Way to go, she can definately hold her own! She must have learned it from somewhere... thanks for the laughs! Needed it! BTW, I am a doer only when I feel like it... J/K (there is some truth to that statement!)

Anonymous said...

Fair's Fair!... and that's why we love her.

Kasey said...

eye for an eye. She gave her plenty of warning.

Amberly said...

holy crap. she's such a thomas!

The Hansen's said...

Yeah, I don't quite know what to say... She did warn her. Good thing she knows all those good Thomas wrestling moves.

Leslie said...

That's too funny! She did give the other girl two warnings. What's that saying: "well behaved women seldom make history." I think you have a history maker on your hands! :)

Stephen & Kendra said...

Ok, I normally agree with you, and I wouldn't comment but this has been nagging me. I would absolutely make my child apologize. We are here to teach our children how to make it in the "real world" and succeed. Although I wish I could punch people who offend me, that's not how things really work. And I keep thinking if I were the mother of the other child, wouldn't you be pissed? Yes she did warn her, and she is young, but I think she should have been corrected. Sorry to be a downer. I still love ya. Kendra

Campbell Family said...

We missed out on all the action.....! Glad Halle is feeling better! We need to get the neighborhood walking going and hopefully get in a little playset tomorrow....if its not raining.

The Kelly Variety said...

I have been thinking a lot about this incident actually. I wish there was a rule book on how to raise children, specifically Halle. I wouldn't be mad if the situation was reversed, in fact I'd hope a lesson would be learned there. Halle had to sit on a bench the rest of the time, while we all played. (That is why we stayed, so she couldn't have fun and had to watch.) Then we did talked about apropriate ways to show you are mad, without violence. That is why I posted, to see what other Mom's would do. So, thanks.

acuna said...

Ha,Ha..... Halle warned her not once but twice. If the other mother was upset it's her own fault she didn't stop her own child after the first hand full of sand. Maybe the girl will think twice before messing with other kids. I would rather my child defended them self then let people push them around. Come on what are you teaching your child by making them apoligize for standing up for them self. In this world you have to learn to stand up for your self.
But I believe I am raising self confident leaders who won't take crap.

maddie said...

Frankly I"m shocked Hella would do anything like this! OK maybe not!
I have given this alot of thought, How would I have handled it. Probably about like you did allowing your child to deal with their own conflicked teaches them alot about how to deal with people.+

Nancy said...

Way to go Halle! That Thomas blood is coming through!

Lena said...

Oh how I love the fact that somebody else's child did something "naughty" on the playground! Remington had a similar experience about 1 1/2 years ago. The kid was following him around taunting him and bullying him. He took it for quite a while, and then he turned on the kid and through him down into the sand and told him to leave him alone. And then, he got up and cooly walked away.

I made him sit by me and we talked about the situation. I didn't really reprimand him...the other kid was really being a bully, and Remington has NEVER done that to a smaller kid (this kid was bigger than Rem). At first, I was kind of tormented about if I handled it correctly, but he hasn't used violence since (except with his own siblings--but even that is rare.)We all don't handle things EXACTLY the way that Jesus would 100% of the time. We all have to stand up for ourselves once in a while, but maybe smooshing sand in her face was a little overkill (not that i blame her : ) I love it!

jenny said...

Kevin says, Alma 43:46 I totally agree.
Love
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Um, you didn't hit the mom did you? Then no apologies necessary. ;-) I love Halle!!!