When I need to get some things done around the house I'll let the kids watch a movie. Today that movie is Mary Poppins. What is it about Mary Poppins that makes it such a good movie?(I know I should be getting things done around the house, but it is a LONG movie!)
I have a love hate relationship with that Poppins woman. I remember being a kid and wishing I could clean my room with the snap of my finger. I would have loved to pop into a sidewalk picture, or have a tea party in the air. I also remember thinking she was so mean. "Close your mouth Michael, we are not a codfish." Or "let me have a look at you. Not as well turned out as I would like, but you'll have to do." As a mother I see she was just efficient! She had a purpose. It was not to make the children fall in love with her or take their mothers place, but to give them the parents they had already been given.
Which brings me to their mother. I think she cared for her children; but, because of society she didn't know she could be the "Nanny" the children needed. She has found her purpose and that is: Womens Rights. "Our daughters daughters will adore us and sing in grateful chorus Well done." I wonder do I, a daughters daughter, even think Well Done?. . . Not as much as I should I'm sure. . . I'll have to admit my favorite line of hers is, "Though we adore men, in-di-vid-ual-ly, we agree that as a group, they're ra-ther stu-pid." I use it often!
My next question, "Why was admiral Boon even in the show?" It was quite a random bit and unneeded. (Like this post.) Yet I loved it when they had to catch all the decorations and put the furniture back.Now that I've wasted 20 minutes of cleaning time. . I'm signing off with a quote from my childrens' current Nanny, "Hip hip hurray and don't stumble on the way out deary."


5 comments:
Cute!!! I agree with you.
I LOVE YOU!!! And I love your new header...glad to see Blake in all his glory...and he is GLORIOUS!
Ya know....I was always scared of Mary Poppins. I don't know why...
ANYWAY...glad you left a comment so I could meet you!! I'll be one of your biggest pests now.
Have a great day.
Sandra
The girls in my high school ward referred to me as Mary Poppins, so I've always had a soft spot for the woman. "Practically Perfect in Every Way," and all. Gotta love her. Well, except Sandra, who is scared of her. Yikes!
I LOVE mary poppins, especially the song you quoted (about men being stupid), Just reading this made me want to turn it on.
Post a Comment