November 4, 2010

Cell Science 101

 For Halloween I let each one of the kids make a specimen jar.  
Halle's was petrified fly in Aloe Vera.
It was pretty cool looking.
Olivia had to make a cell model for school and we thought we'd do the same type of thing. It lasted for quite a while, but as you can see in her plant cell gravity eventually won.

 We used hair gel instead of Aloe Vera because it was cheaper. (Aloe does work better.)  She cut a ball in half for the nucleus and clay as the chromosome.  The Vacuoles were erasers.  The Mitochondria was floam and clay.  It turned out to be a great project and she had a lot of fun making it. I thought maybe if I posted this we could use it again sometime.  I'm guessing with five others coming behind her we'll have to make one again.
  Another idea is to sew a cell model with movable parts.  I'm hoping one of my kids want to do this. . .we'll see.

2 comments:

Kasey said...

Smarty pants and creative pants! What can't you do! They are lucky to have you.

Lena said...

What a great project! If I ever homeschool we are definitely making one of those...and if I don't ever homeschool, then we will have to pack it in there somehow between all the craziness that happens between 4 and 8.

LOVE little miss halle's prayer. could you please mention to her that the unobserving, cell texting crazies could use her prayers too?