Now the whole reason I looked up the history of St. Patties Day is because I was wondering how Pinching came about. Tomorrow kids in America and else where will worry about what to wear or. . . . . Does the green have to be seen? . . . . . . Do I secretly want to be pinched?. . . . . If I wear red will I get Kissed?
Some may be like me, and forget the Kelly Green color altogether. Which then encourages lying, saying their underwear is green or the Holiday is stupid anyway. Secretly wishing they were wearing Green underwear and not plain white granny panties. ( It would have been cool to have green panties, even if they were Granny Panties.) The question still remains, "Why Pinching?"
No one is for sure, they say Irish American kids started it because they were so hated by the Americans. It was a good excuse to pinch them and not get in trouble because it was a holiday. Sounds good to me, Lets make a Holiday for. . . . . . . Not cleaning houses. . . . and anyone who does gets pinched!
My favorite theory is the kids wouldn't actually pinch you, but the Leprechaun would if you didn't wear green. Now we all know from watching "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" that if you catch one you get three wishes. One good reason not to wear green, being pinched by a Leprechaun could be quite lucrative.
What ever the reason, I am wearing Green and I dare my Kids to pinch me! I'm also wearing Red just in case the Kissing part is true. . . . (MIKE). . . . So, Luck of the Irish to you, and may the Blarney Stone bless you with a Leprechaun to grant your three wishes.

6 comments:
i am all about the not Cleaning the house for a day! But then again I would probably end up getting pinched!
Are you a blog designer. You're changing it everyday. It's really fun. I like them don't get me wrong. Happy St. Pattie's Day!
oh how that made me laugh...it brings back some bad memories of forgetting to wear green. I don't think that I have EVER remembered to wear green, I just don't think about it until I get pinched! or kissed...and yes, I have lied about my underpants being green! (and yes, they were also granny panties. And I love the house cleaning holiday! I will definitely NOT get pinched! We came home from an outing with friends, and they came with us. I was a little embarrassed with my laundry piled on the couch and lunch still on the table, chairs and floors. it was not a proud moment...
I will end now, this is a little long!
I tried to hide my green so that if someone pinched me I could pinch them back 3 times. Did anyone else have that rule? Thought provoking blog. Love your paper!
This is funny because I just looked up St Patrick also and read it to the 3rd, 4th and 1st grades. I was shocked to find out about the red kissing thing. If I had only known about it when I cared! Oh well so sad! I knew about the 3 pinch rule but maybe because Jeanette told me, Who knows! mom
ok, Kelly... I really would like you to teach me! You are amazing!! Hope to see ya soon.
Post a Comment