March 1, 2009

Mastering JEll-O

Do you ever new and improve something so much that you lose all actual ingredients belonging to the original recipe? This is how I cook! My Motto: Can't leave good enough alone. Every year my family makes 14 layer jello for Thanksgiving. We had Thanksgiving at my in laws one year and I decided I can make JEll-O. I mean how hard is it.

Hot water - JEll-O packet - Cold Water

Then for pretty layers you do the same thing only adding sour cream. No big deal right? Wrong. I did 6 layers, that was 5 too many. The sour cream layer came out in big circles here and there. When you cut the jello sometimes you got 3 layers and sometimes you got all 6. It was still eatable so I couldn't complain.

Kade asked if he could make JEll-O. We weren't going anywhere so I said fine, we made beautiful Lime-Blueberry JEll-O. We poured it in a pan and in small serving cups for dinner. Voila, perfect. 1 layer, I had mastered it!

Here is where my Motto comes in to play. (again) I just can't leave good enough alone. My confidence was boosted, I could make perfect JEll-O! I signed up at church to bring JEll-O after all I am a master. I decided on three layers. I started early to give my self time in case the JEll-O didn't fell like setting up for me. Layer one. . . . Beautiful. Layer Two. . . . . .Looking good, I'm thinking I'll be a proud Woman at Relief Society tonight! Layer Three. . . . Seems to go smoothly. I am me and can't go with perfect JEll-O oh no, I improve it by adding blue berries. It was Valentines so why not add some Jiggler Hearts on the top. So far so good, I had all three layers in the fridge, my jigglers were ready to cut out, I still had time to apply my make-up!

Mike came home, I presented my JEll-O. He said, "You only decided to do one layer uh?" You guessed it, they all merged into one ORANGE layer! NO NO NO, I followed the directions. Oh well, I still had my cute hearts to put on top. I looked in the freezer . . . no cool whip. . . . . Bright Idea. . . . . I had cream cheese frosting. In my defense, they are both white and would taste good with JEll-O. I frosted, hearted and tin foiled my masterpiece.

I arrived at the church and took the tin foil off. There were no hearts in the pan just on the tin foil, and the frosting was soup on my JEll-O! Nice! My Pride. . . . .Well lets just say I'm following the prophet and am completely stripped of it! I put it on the table next to the "Mormon Mom's Mastered JEll-O's" and humbly took my seat.

7 comments:

Amber said...

If you ever are able to get it mastered.. will you let me know?! I am still working on that one! The jello at the R.S. Dinner was wonderful! It may not have turned out as planned, but it was delicious nonetheless!

Lindsey said...

You are a funny writer Kelly...at least you have that mastered! I loved reading about your jello escapade!

Hodges Family said...

Ha ha I thought you Jello was a masterpiece!

Leslie said...

That's too funny! There's another jello recipe I like to try for layers. Instead of sour cream you use ice cream. For each layer it's just one cup hot water, jello, and once the jello is dissolved, one cup vanilla ice cream. It turns out pretty good too! If you can improve it, I'll give you 100 points. You can't do anything with the points, but they're all yours.

Kasey said...

Make a grape salad next time. You can't mess that one up!!

Michelle Burk said...

Classic. You must not really be Mormon, if you can't make Jell-o. Is there something you're not telling us?

Stephen & Kendra said...

I am not sure how to make 1 layer jello. I was asked to bring it to a family dinner and I screwed it up, too soupy. Needless to say, they just ask me to bring a salad now. :)