April 12, 2009

Compelled to be Humble

At our church they passed out some papers to the kids that helped them watch General Conference. Olivia, watched all the sessions and took notes pretty well. (Especially for being eight.) They got their true reward from listening, and their candy reward from the primary. When they were asked what their favorite talks were, she did awesome and remembered several. Mothering her is easy, what a good kid, she makes me look great.

Then right at the end I see her hand raised. . . . . Yes, Olivia do you have another story? She said, "Do you want to know something weird?" This is the point where every mother waits, anticipating the worst, hoping for the best. Then it came, "I watched more Conference then my Mom and Dad!" Strike that last sentence out of the above paragraph. What a tattle-tale, and a. . .braggart. . . .and. . . and. . . the sad part is, it is true, she did. I came up with some good excuses: 1. Their voices are so comforting and soothing, I'll admit I drifted to sleep. 2. I wanted to wait until it came in the Ensign, I am a visual learner of the written word. 3. You should always read the book before seeing the movie. 4. I used osmosis while sleeping, ya that's it. The truth of the matter is found in 1st Nephi 16:2 ". . .wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center." Need I say more? I will read every talk in the Ensign, that is a promise. I am humbled, compelled, but humbled!

11 comments:

Kasey said...

That is so funny! Smart little girl! I'd much rather read the talks too!

Amber said...

That is funny although I have to say that you are a great mother with amazing kids! Thanks for your friendship Kelly!

Anonymous said...

I hate it when 8 year olds show us up. Talk about embarrassing!! :-) Aren't you amazed sometimes at their brilliance? I know that I sure am. I didn't think kids were supposed to be smarter than thier parents. Oh well..... I can't wait to read the conference talks either. :-)

Leslie said...

I love it! Your kids are pretty dang funny! Now. . . if only there was a guarantee that Tralee would never admit my faults in public. Maybe there's a book on it, something to the affect of: How to teach your kids to only sing your praises in public. I'll start looking.

Hodges Family said...

I will be reading the Ensign to!

Michelle Burk said...

You were just trying to make her feel good. We know.

acuna said...

I know how you feel. Isaak is my teacher everyday. And he knows it.
What good kids we have.....

Jeanette Borup said...

Do you want me to make you a Conference Bingo card and reward you with candy so that you can stay awake too? Pathetic Kelly. By the way when you get around to reading the conference talks, could you please summarize the last session I dozed off and I know I won't get around to reading it. Thanks so much!

JoAnn said...

So COOL. what a great little girl and you know her mom's pretty great too

Hodges Family said...

Yes I will be doing an Enrichment post soon it will be called mommys special drink! Then i will give everyone just a little tast of my lifestyle!

maddie said...

Ok Thanks for that big dose of GUILT. I'm feeling very compelled!