April 4, 2009

Help. . . Sad Emotions

Do all little boys have these so depressed, end of the world emotions? He woke up and wanted to cry. He asked me to hold him for a minute, then sat on the couch under a blanket and slept for two hours. When he woke up he was fine. He usually is my fun, teasing, easy boy but, when he feels sad it is all consuming and nothing I do changes it! I feel helpless, and I want to help him. Is this normal? What do I do?

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wish I had some good advice to share, but we haven't faced this challenge yet. Tell Kade he is just too stinkin' cute to be sad!

Amber said...

Not sure what to tell you... am experiencing that right now with one of mine.. if you get it figured out, let me know! Tell him we love him and he is too cute!

Hodges Family said...

Well I wouldn't know what to do either! But He is cute Sad or Happy!

Anonymous said...

Man I have no clue what to do and with all the children I have I am sure you are shocked. Ha ha ha. All I want to do is scoop that little boy in my arms and protect him from that sort of thing though. Maybe it isn't a bad thing to be so thoughtful sometimes. I guess it's moments of extreme sadness that help us really appreciate the carefree moments of happiness. I sure love that kid.

Lena said...

ah man...dont' ya hate those moments when you feel so hopeless as a mother. Rem used to have night terrors and it was terrible!!! WE couldn't come near him to comfort him because he had dreamt that there were rats everywhere and he thought there were rats on us. I would sit with him all night and try to offer reassurance that he was safe and there were no rats...it was awful. I seriously thought that he might have sort of severe disorder. Thankfully, after about 6 months he had them less often and finally they stopped all together (knock on wood!)

JoAnn said...

Recipe for a Happy Boy:

1 Tblsp Sugar
4 Cups Mud
1 Football (may be substituted with a ball of any shape or size)
3 1/2 Freshly dug Juicy worms
1 GI Joe


Mix and give freely to a sad boy on any occasion. Any ingredients may be substitued with a Rootbeer float.

But a hug and a good nap always works wonders.

maddie said...

I say ditto to Erin and Ms. JoAnn!