| These were the Posters for the Talent Fair |
When I hear the word Talent it scares me.
At church we had a "Talent Fair" where you bring a talent or something you've done to display. When the sign-up sheet came to me I instantly saw the word talent and went into panic mode: I can't sing, or dance, or draw, or sew, or cook, or do anything so well that I'd want to display it. I looked at the list for a long time, at least it seemed like a long time as we were nearing the end of church in a primary with room full of impatient children. I looked through the stack of other papers on the clipboard. One was for pie, I was stalling on the talent thing and thought, "I can make a pie." I signed up. I could just pass the clipboard along, but something was tugging at me to sign my name on the "Talent" list.
I've been thinking about why am I so scared to share something I've done and I've come to several conclusions.
- When you say you are good at something people expect you to be. Then on top of their expectations I add my own - I should be the best, which I might add is unattainable. If someone is better than me at a talent it feels as though it diminishes mine.
- If you say you're good at something like, "I'm good with people." Instantly in my head I think of ALL the times I have not been good with people. There seems to be a lot of these. Plus how do you display a talent like that?
- Satan doesn't want me to think I have anything of value to share with others.
"A talent is anything you've learned to do. And do well."
"It's a superior ability in an art."
"When you can do something with ease that is harder for other people to do."
"You've got talent!"
"Some [talents] have to be worked at and developed, but we've all got 'em."
I am happy to say, I did not let Satan win. I signed my name on that piece of paper and brought a project. There were some amazing talents shared and I got to know a little bit more about the Sisters in my ward. It was a great night and I'm glad I was part of it.
I've decided: We all have talents, but, some are harder to display than others. Some start as an interest and are developed into talents. The ones that we are naturally good at sometimes we forget that they are a talent because they come so easily to us. With that, I challenge you to do what Tamra said,
". . .discover what they are."

7 comments:
I really appreciated your post on talents.. I myself have been struggling to find what I am talented at amoungst a bunch of super talented sisters. I just want you to know that I appreciate you using not only your super craft skills but your talents as a wonderful sounding board sister. Thanks a whole bunch kel... you are the best! -rooney
Great post Kelly. You have always been very talented from the day I met you, I knew you were special!! I miss you.
awesome post.
You described everything about talents the way I have been feeling!! Its like you read my thoughts... scarry. You are always so talented!! Never doubt yourself and your talents! I on the other hand am still trying to figure what mine are... but I know what one of them is and that is recoginzing and appreciating talent when I see it and you have it sister!! Thanks for everything!!
I think your talent is writing thought provoking posts. My talent is nursing three babies at once. Its always been tricky to do that at a ward talent show. ;) Luv you Kell.
You are SO talented Kelly! You're going to be great at the "Used-to-be-Enrichment-Leader" calling :) I feel the same way when I hear the word "Talents" because when people say you are talented, it seems conceited to say "I know" and it's easier to deny it...but I also think that most women have trouble accepting a compliment because it's easier to put ourselves down or compare ourselves to others. Thanks for the post!
Yeah, I say a lot of things I don't really practice. You, on the other hand, can make beauty out of most anything. That is a great talent! I mean look at your kids...and they came from Mike!
Steph, that was so funny, although I hope you never shared your talent at a ward function!
Still working on finding my many hidden talents! See ya soon.
Post a Comment